Sunday, January 6, 2008

Living the Creative Life


One of the many wonderful books I received this past Winter Solstice is Living the Creative Life: Ideas & Inspiration from Working Artists by Ricë Freeman-Zachery.


In this wonderfully designed book, Ricë has interviewed 15 artists and asked them all sorts of excellent questions about creativity.

I am fascinated by other artists approaches to making. From journal-keeping to when they work in their studios, to time-management - it is all helpful to me as an artist as I find my practice evolving. Reading this book is also a great reminder that even very successful, full-time artists struggle with getting the grocery shopping done and coming up with new ideas for art projects. When I struggle with such basic things in my life, I feel like somehow I am a fraud, because if I was a real artist, I wouldn't have those problems! Not true.

The layout of the book is a work of art in itself - creative, messy and juicy. There are also great "try this" opportunities throughout the book.

If you are looking for some new inspiration, check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment