Sunday, July 20, 2008

Getting Stronger

Yesterday I competed in my very first Olympic-style weightlifting competition. Those that know me know that a year ago, the idea of me competing in anything athletic was quite hard to imagine. And weightlifting? Do women over 25 even lift weights?

Thankfully, my beloved husband discovered an incredible fitness center/weightlifting gym near our home. Freddie & Niki Myles own and operate Myles Ahead and there really are no words to describe what a great and supportive environment these two amazing people have created together.

Despite my zaftig body, I have always enjoyed moving and exercising my body. I have a red belt in Tae Kwon Do and I am always the first one on the dance floor. I've found it interesting over the years to see how various people have reacted to seeing a large woman exercising or moving and enjoying her body. In the usual YMCAs, or 24-Hour Fitnesses women often (and yes, it is always women) come up to me and say "you've been on that elliptical for over an hour! Good for you!" Or, I'm out on the dance floor, losing myself in the music and dancing with my friends and someone comes up and says, "You've been dancing for hours! Good for you!"  Would these women say such things to a slender person? No, they wouldn't.

With men, it is usually worse. I have had completely outraged men yell at me in dance clubs, saying I had no business being there, wearing what I was wearing and calling me the most terrible names you can imagine. On the flip side, I have had the weirdest propositions from men - all larger ladies know what I'm talking about. It's almost like because our culture is so dismissive of us as sexual beings that any man that shows interest in us sexually must have a "fetish," instead of just appreciating a curvier woman. Thankfully, my life has been full of really wonderful, appreciative men who have helped me enjoy and love my body just the way it is.

Finishing a light Jerk of 40 kilos (88 lbs.)
I also had terrible luck with personal trainers (before I met Freddie & Niki Myles). They always assumed that I wanted to lose weight and not much else (like getting strong, getting more flexibility, having fun and all the other reasons we exercise). And they always assumed that I was weak. So many personal trainers have been shocked by my strength and endurance.

My experience at Myles Ahead was much different. Niki & Freddie greeted me with complete respect and total understanding that all bodies are unique, and that all bodies are strong in their own way. They showed me how strong I actually am and are continuing to help me get stronger - and they do it with laughter and kindness and joy in their hearts.  There really aren't words to describe what a gift these two people are to me and my life. I feel so lucky to know them.

I competed in the 2nd Annual Redwood Empire Championships in Cotati, California, yesterday. I did the snatch and the clean/jerk. I achieved a personal record of a 50kg clean/jerk (that's 110 lbs. that I jerked right over my head, people!). I also successfully lifted all six of my lifts!  I even won 2nd Place in my weight level (okay, there were only two of us!).

What I was most surprised by was how much FUN it was to be up on that platform, in front of so many people. I was completely shocked by that experience.

And I continue to get stronger. The wonderful thing about weightlifting is that you can keep lifting into your 80's and beyond. How many sports can you say that about?

No comments:

Post a Comment