Saturday, March 9, 2013

Be Your Own Beloved #18

Every day, I am taking a self-portrait in conjunction with Vivienne McMaster's Be Your Own Beloved e-course. Sometimes it takes me longer - like a week or more, but I'm dedicated to finishing this project!

Shadow with Wings on Gravel

For today's assignment, we were asked to take a picture of our shadow. I got really excited about this theme, because I have never really explored the idea of taking a picture of JUST my shadow. I had an AMAZING time taking these photos. It was so fun! I pulled out lots of interestingly shaped & textured props and took lots and lots of photos. I have a pair of small, white wings a friend gave me, and they ended up being the perfect prop for this. There are so many pictures that I loved, it was hard to pick just one.

I also took this at about 1pm today, so my shadow is quite squat and fat. I had the intention to wait until later in the day, because I wanted my shadow to be long and lean, but I just couldn't wait and thinking about yesterday's post, I think it's good that my shadow looks so big and round.

Algerian Cave Painting

When I looked at all my finished photos, I was struck by how many of them looked like cave paintings, due in part, to the wonderful gravel texture of my front yard. I studied anthropology in university and have been to many ancient goddess sites, so this was an exciting outcome to today's assignment! I feel a connection to those ancient artists. I love how there has been art since the beginning of homo sapien life (and even earlier!). I love that art was second only to hunting and getting enough food - it was a necessity back then, just as it is now (at least to me!).  

No comments:

Post a Comment