Thursday, April 19, 2007

I'm a Scanner... She's a Scanner

Wouldn't you like to be a Scanner too?



My Mom gave me an interesting book to read during our Easter Brunch, which she says changed her life. It's called Refuse to Choose! It's written by Barbara Sher who is the New York Times best-selling author of Wishcraft and I Could Do Anything If Only I Knew What it Was...

The main premise of the book is that many people in the world are Scanners. I have to say, this name is a little unsettling to me, because in my mind, I go directly to Phillip K. Dick.

But Barbara is talking about people in the world who "just can't choose one single career path." Some examples of what a Scanner might say are: "I'm fascinated by something new every week," or "I know I should focus on one thing, but which one?" Sounds like someone with ADD? She addresses that too, saying that those with ADD have trouble concentrating for long periods of time, whereas Scanners can actually stay focused very easily, they just don't like to be stuck with just one job/career/hobby for the rest of their lives.

Barbara Sher with her cute, little dog! (photo by Mindy Stricke)


I have to say that after reading this book, I do feel a lot better. I always admired the people in my life who have always known what they wanted to be and followed a clear and laid out path to get there. I myself, have tasted and dabbled, never wanting to commit or "settle" on just one career. I wish I wanted to, but I could never just settled in to one career path. It felt suffocating to me.

That's why the life of an Interfaith minister suits me so well, because to be a good minister I have to have a wide range of experiences and understanding of diverse cultures and ideas. It's helpful to go see a show at the Asian Art Museum, followed by one of the latest blockbuster movies. I read mythology and books on string theory. I've learned how to care for my neighbors rabbits and learned the ins and outs of worm farming. I love learning new things, reading new books, seeing new documentaries...and some part of my soul has felt bad about that. I think to myself, "I shouldn't be wasting my time with this, I should be buckling down and starting my career."

But what if this is my career? Dibbling and dabbling and learning and creating...sharing my ideas with others (blogs are perfect for Scanners) and keeping my soul alive.

If you resonate with any of this, I highly recommend you read Refuse to Choose!

2 comments: