Monday, February 4, 2013

Be Your Own Beloved #4

Every day, I am taking a self-portrait in conjunction with Vivienne McMaster's Be Your Own Beloved e-course.

My Arms are STRONG!

Today, Vivienne asked us pick one part of our bodies as inspiration and tell a story that feels positive, as we chart our course to see ourselves with kindness. Growing up as a big girl who is now a big, 300 lb. woman, I have always struggled with my body and how it looks. Our American culture tells me every single day how "ugly" and "undesirable" I am. Thankfully, we now have the Internet and I can reach out and find other amazing fat women who are fierce and beautiful and inspiring. The fat community online has taught me so much about loving myself.

And the other thing that has taught me how to love my body, amazingly enough, is weightlifting. I have written a lot about my weightlifting journey already, so I'm not going to go into how I got into weightlifting and all of that. What I will say is that it's amazing that I found a sport that embraces my body just as it is and where in fact, having a large body is actually a plus. As Olympic Super-Heavyweight and amazing person Cheryl Hayworth said in the excellent film STRONG! "Mass moves mass."

Here I am doing triple snatches at 39 kilos (85.8 lbs)

I used Vivienne's prompt to think about a "part" of my body that I'm sometimes embarrassed of and find a way to look at it in a new and beautiful light. I've always had big arms. When I was young (and weighed FAR less than I do now), you would never have caught me wearing sleeveless tops, but now that I'm a lifter, I wear sleeveless shirts all the time. My arms are STRONG and they help me get those weights up over my head every week!

I loved today's assignment and I definitely want to create more photos about "parts" of my body that I am often ashamed of and write a NEW story.

No comments:

Post a Comment