Thursday, May 12, 2016

6 Months of Grief Project: Day 97

The Path
This is Day 97 of my #6MonthsOfGrief Project. To learn more about this practice, feel free to visit Day One, where I explain this project in more detail.

When I started this project, I thought I was going to be drawing one image a day. That proved to be far too time-consuming and difficult, so I started sharing self-portraits or "grief selfies," as they have been called.

Lately, when I hold the camera in my hand to take a self-portrait, I cringe. I don't want to be documented right now. So I am starting to share images of my late husband instead. When I started this project, the feeling was the exact opposite - I couldn't bear looking at old photos of my husband, while taking self-portraits was very soothing and nourishing. I think it's interesting that my grief process has shifted this way. 

I don't understand it, but I am listening and following my intuition.

This photo was taken on one of our trips to Portland, Oregon. I remember being struck by the canopied path, leading to new adventures. I paused and told my husband that I had to take a photo of this beautiful moment. The look on his face is a familiar one - amusement, tolerance, a little bit of impatience, and deep unconditional love. Will anyone ever look at me like that again? He was my partner, my best friend, my lover, my teammate, my giant, my bearded beauty. 

I want to crawl inside this photo and hug him and tell him I love him.

___________________________________________

I am very aware that this project can bring up a lot around yours or other's grief and loss, I will always follow every post with some online grief support resources that have helped me. Please feel free to let me know of online support that you have found healing in your grief, as well:

Living with Grief Resources:

And remember, I am sharing this project on a variety of platforms, including my InstagramTwitter, & Facebook feeds, as well as my Pinterest page on Grief. I use the hashtag #6MonthsOfGrief, so it can easily be found on any platform. Please share this project with anyone you think might need it.

Thank you, and see you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment