Sunday, October 16, 2016

Surviving Year Two: Week 10

Wearing My Wounds

This is Week 10 of my Surviving Year Two Grief Project. Details about all my Grief Projects, as well as Grief Resources can be found here.

I spent some time with someone who is somewhat fresh in his grief. As we sat and shared our stories with each other, I saw us as two wounded animals — like two deer who had been shot by the same arrow. His grief is of course different than mine, and yet it was fascinating to see the similar threads that we shared.

While we sat together, I realized that we are all walking around with our wounds, every day. Some people cannot hide their grief, no matter how hard they try, and it spills out onto anyone that gets too close. Some can push their pain so tightly away that it becomes a rock in their heart, preventing them from loving anyone deeply again, because they are afraid of more loss and pain. And some people wear their wounds intentionally, like beautiful jewels. They say, "Look at what happened to me. My pain makes me beautiful and strong. I have lived through this and you can too."

I am learning to weave my wounds and grief into my being, and wear them proudly. I am hoping to empower others to do that same. This, I believe is part of my path.

Thank you for witnessing me. See you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment