Monday, February 11, 2008

Creating Sacred Space

Why do we need sacred space? It’s simple. We need a way (a place, a process) to gently and easily reconnect with the spiritual core of being human, to be touched "where we live" on a regular basis by that divine bit of fire." ~ Kathryn L. Robyn, in Spiritual Housecleaning
One of my altars

Being an independent minister with no "home church" to call my own, I have to get creative with making spaces to serve and practice my ministry of creativity, dreamwork and healing. When I left San Francisco, I reluctantly gave up my very cheap and beautiful shared office space. I needed somewhere to see clients and hold my dream groups, so I decided to use my new home as an office to see clients in.

I was worried about doing this for many reasons. I wanted my space to be private, and opening up my home to lots of different people seemed invasive and overwhelming. And what about the cleaning?! I’m not a dirty person, but I’ve been known to let dishes sit for a couple of days, and sometimes I’m not so quick on the disposal of old cat litter.

On the day when my first client was scheduled to come to the house, my husband and I woke up early and begin the daunting task of making our home “spotless.” I was so afraid I would overlook something and my visitors would walk in, see that missed tumbleweed of cat hair on the floor, and walk right out, horrified.

As the process of cleaning our home began, I was completely shocked to discover that I was actually enjoying myself. Thankfully, I have a wonderful partner who was completely on board with the idea of making our home beautiful and clean to welcome in my new clients.

I realized in this process that my husband and I were creating sacred space — the same way volunteers come to their church to oil the old wooden pews, and the same way a Buddhist monk cleans the floor of the temple or shrine. Who says my home is not a sacred space also? It is a sanctuary and place of healing, both for my husband and me, and for my clients.

As I got down into the nooks and crannies of my home, I discovered piles of dust and cat hair I didn’t know were there. Instead of being disgusted or upset by this, I felt grateful that I had discovered this “undiscovered” place in my home, and could now clean this neglected space and make it fresh and new again.

Front porch altar for Valentine's Day

This process of “deep cleaning” reminds me so much of my own spiritual practice, as I walk my path of healing and transformation. I have committed to going deeper and to understanding my shadow places, so that I can see what is “dirtying” up my energy body and find a way to clean it out and transform it into something different and more nurturing.

This thorough housecleaning has now become a ritual for us, as I see clients at least once a week in my home. It’s also a meditative time for me, where I think about my past week and my ministry and what I would like to do in this life. With this work, I am tending to my temple.

In the beginning I had some concern that I wouldn’t get my home back after meeting with clients, but this has not turned out to be the case. The act of cleaning and preparing for them shifts the energy of the house — I move the chairs around and create a new space that is just for when clients come visit, or I put the chairs in a circle for group work. First I create a sacred container; then when the session or group is over, I put the furniture back the way it was, burn a little sage, and I have my home space back.

I also create altars specifically for client sessions. Often I use a statue of the Buddha (being an Interfaith Minister, I feel comfortable with a variety of icons from various faith traditions) who holds a small candle in his lap. Sometimes I have fresh flowers. Sometimes I have crystals that my husband has blessed in his healing work.

I often use flowers from my garden
& old photos in my altars
I create special altars for the groups I facilitate as well. These often include little “gifts” or offerings I have prepared, or a book I would like to read from. I always include my “circle of friends” candleholder, which honors the way we have all come together to support each other. The candle at the center honors the role that Spirit plays in our gathering.

I also have the honor of performing wedding ceremonies; when I meet with couples to prepare and do pre-wedding consultations, I make an altar as well.

This includes two statues that were given to my husband and I when we were preparing for our own wedding. Sometimes I wrap the two statues together with the beaded stole I crafted for my ordination. I always try to include a ripe fruit or vegetable, to honor the growth and nourishment of being in a love partnership.

In the process of cleaning and preparing my sacred space, the whole house also becomes like an altar. I try to pay attention to each object and honor all the objects in my house. Those who have been in my home know that I have A LOT of things! I have many sacred objects, from many different faith traditions. I frequently re-arrange objects and make new altars and spaces. That includes the little statues in the bathroom and on top of the television. It keeps my home alive and the energy moving instead of getting stuck and stagnant. Making and re-making altars is a powerful way to create sacred space. I think Eleanor Coppola, wife of Francis and mother of Sophia, explains the process well in the wonderful book Altars & Icons:
...there’s also something very soothing in just placing objects, shifting their position, or refolding the fabric, making the square a little smaller or a little larger. It satisfies some artistic part of myself.
Re-connecting with our altars helps keep our home/office/space alive and fluid. It is a way to honor visions and ideas in a tangible form.

Altars don’t just have to be for meditation. Janet Carter, from the same book:
Even when I’m not sitting in front of it, my altar is working because these particular objects are activated by my intent. It’s up to me to remember that the altar is here, to sit with it and take it in, not with my mind but with my heart and body. The altar brings these three together.
Seeing my home through my clients’ eyes is a powerful experience. Many of them see it as an oasis. I live on four acres in a home with high ceilings and large windows. Yet I sometimes get stuck in the mundane realities of my home, taking it for granted and overlooking its beauty. My clients remind me every week that I live in a beautiful place that they experience as a healing oasis, a place where they can take a break and step back into the deep waters of their spiritual life.

Yes, there have been times when the dishes didn’t get done before a client arrived. And you know what... they didn’t even notice. Or if they did, it didn’t take away from the work we did together that day.

Tending to my space and keeping it clean and beautiful helps me stay in touch with the greater Spirit. Sacred space can be created anywhere! I often carry “altar kits” in my car, in case I am called to minister to someone out in the world. A simple blanket, a small statue, some wildflowers picked by the side of the road, can come together to make a beautiful space for healing and transformation.

How do you make sacred space?

Books mentioned in this post:

1 comment: